Thanks to all the people who answered my plea for tips about book
repair.  Here are the responses, grouped by category:

REPAIR VS. REBINDING

        Ask yourself if the time spent on repairing any particular book is cost
effective in view of the replacement cost of the book.  I debated on
rebinding some but at $6-$7 per book for rebinding (in plain covers) it
costs the same to replace them with Econo-clad or similar type
attractive bindings(and kids are attracted to "new" books! :-)
(Heidi Rawson-Ketchum)

        If the book is worth keeping send it to the bindery.  (Susan Meyer)

        Make sure you a dealing with a reputable bindery!  ((Judy Ermlick)

        If the book is readable mend it. If the pages are breaking apart or
missing discard.

        I have found that if a book cannot be repaired in such a way as to
maintin eye-appeal for the students, it should probably be discarded.
Repair takes a lot of time and it is not worth it if the students are
not going to use the book.  (Micki Johnston)

AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION

        When buying books, go with a company that has good binding - it may
save on repairs at a later date.  I try to go with "Bound To Stay Bound"
company as they are really bound.  Some of the companies that take
paperbacks and rebind them (Permabound, EconoClad) will guarantee their
binding, and replace the title if it falls apart.  (Sue Berger)

        Prevention is key, especially with paperback books.  I cover them with
clear contact paper and putwhite hinge tape on inside each spine.
Little repair is necessacry.  Also , on books with out cloth library
binding, I use 3m clear tape on the inside spines on new books...saves
on repairs later.   (Lois Smits)

        Prevention is great.  Tape the inside of the books that look as if they
will tear easily.  I buy a lot of tape that is used for mailing packages
and used it unabashedly.  (Leesie Falgout)

        Cover your paperbacks with things like DEMCO's paperback wrap. Really
saves the life of the book - and paperbacks are really popular with
middle school students!   (Charlotte Poole)

        To postpone paperback repairs I teach the student aides to cover them
with contact paper.  It prolongs their life about two years.  (Lynn
McCree)

        Strengthen books BEFORE they begin to circulate.  An ounce of
prevention.  For example take the trade versions of the Eyewitness
books.  These can be strengthened by running a strip of book tape down
the spine, adding transparent corner protectors, and adding either a
vertical or two horizontal strips of paper tape inside the cover.  My
processing clerk doesn't like to do this, so we send the additional tape
to the library clerks along with the books and advise them to do it
BEFORE circulation.  (Susan Mackey)

        Linda, prevention! Try to make your materials as durable as possible
before they go out and you will be rewarded with fewer repairs and
problems. Also, Cloth book binding tape wears for ever and is great on
the front and back page of books to reinforce the bindings.  (Helen
Taylor)

        We check every book as it comes in (a quick glance) because we have had
so much damage from water bottles.  We have been able to catch minor
problems, like pencil marks or sticky covers, before they become big
problems.  (NMSJones)

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST