Dear Everyone:
I posted a query for one-liner book slogans to help with making book fair
posters. I received several notes of support and several requests for a
hit, but only one actual hit. Here it is  with a special thanks to Eliece
Edge! :)

Barb
Barbara Johnson, Librarian
 Albright M.S. in Houston, Texas 77083
 < bjohnson@netropolis.net >
Official Net Nerd
-----------*****----------------

All that Mankind has done, thought, gained or been--it is lying as in
magic preservation in the pages of Books.  -Carlyle

The writings of the wise are the only riches our posterity cannot
squander.

Books--the children of the brain.  -Jonathan Swift

Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries.

Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of
generations and nations.

How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a
book.  -Thoreau

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and
hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a
pleasure beyond compare.  -Yosida Kenko

It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good
books which are your very own.  -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are
missing a chance to lead an extra life.  -Scott Corbett

The person who deserves most pity is a lonesome one on a rainy day who
doesn't know how to read.  -Benjamin Franklin

The closest we will ever come to an orderly universe is a good library.
  -Ashleigh Brilliant

I had always imagined Paradise as a kind of library.  -Jorge Luis Borges

A room without books is as a body without a soul.  -Cicero

In a very real sense, people who have read good literature have lived
more than people who cannot or will not read...It is not true that we
have only one life to lead; if we can read, we can live as many more
lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.  -S.I. Hayakawa

These are some of my favorite quotes about books and libraries.  Hope
some of them are what you're looking for.

Eliece Edge, Librarian
Alvin Jr. High
Alvin, TX
shadow@hal-pc.org

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST