Thanks to all who offered their suggestions on ways to handle distractions
in the library media center.  My "favorite" solution, thus far, is to ask
for internet access in the teacher's lounge/work room, separate from the
library. That way, teachers can check their email, try new software,
search the Internet, etc., without interrupting scheduled classes. I
realize how expensive this can be, by the time we purchase another
computer, wire for networking, purchase the ethernet card, etc., but
I've always liked aiming high...

Here is a brief summary of the feedback I received:
1. Found other librarians to be in similar situations (cramped quarters,
people walking into middle of classes, people using library as
cut-throughs, teachers and classes vying for same internet computers,
etc.) -- several asked me to share responses
2. Run scheduling calendars for all to see -- reserve time (15 min. for
email; 25 min. for research)
3. Limit teacher use of email -- no listservs on library computers
4. Communicate problem at faculty meetings -- enlist teacher support/input
5. Relocate to back of library
6. Close off doors; put up signs; use theater-type ropes as physical
barriers; display plastic frogs that croak when bodies approach...  :-)
7. Librarian checks email; then forwards/distributes to appropriate
teachers
8. Tell teachers library instruction comes first; they must read personal
email on their own time
9. Let principal set forth mandates (carries more clout...)
10. Designate one computer, located in quiet corner, near, or even in,
library office, for teacher use; "reserve" use of one computer
11. Give staff particular time to come in; staff limits computer use to
before and after school, and during lunch
12. Put schedules of lessons in teachers' boxes at beginning of week so
they can plan when to use computers
13. Discourage "public" reading of "private"/confidential concerns...
14. Use portable chalkboard/bulletin board as room divider
15. Exercise tact and good humor; try pretending the teachers haven't
barged in on lessons; maybe kids won't notice; don't put teachers on the
defensive
16. We must continue to encourage teacher use of technology

Hope I've included all your suggestions.  LM_NET has proven, once again,
that together, we can offer better media programs...

Sincerely,
Joyce Nelson, Librarian
Sanford Elementary School
Newport News, VA  23602
jhnelson@whro.org

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST