Greetings again,

Thank you for all the responses to my trivia question.  I will try to
summarize the responses for those who expressed interest.

First, there were several responses saying "You have got to be kidding.
 Falling rocks are a dangerous problem...."  (No, I wasn't kidding.)

There were several versions of the story.

1)  An "indian" father and mother and their son Falling Rock, were out
walking and the son got lost.  The mother and father looked everywhere, and
asked people if they had seen him.  No one had, and they continue looking to
this day.  The father put up signs that say "Watch for Falling Rock".

2) A chief was near death and called the braves together.  He instructed them
to go into the wilderness to bring something back in order to prove who was
most worthy to be the next chief.  As the braves returned, each had an object
that required great bravery to find.  All the braves returned except Falling
Rocks, who was the chief's favorite, so the chief refused to name a new chief
until he returned.  If you drive down the road, you will still see the signs
the tribe erected in hopes of finding him.  Always remember when you see them
to "Watch for Falling Rocks."

3) The indian chief sets up a contest for the hand of his daughter.  Three
contestants are challenged to go as far as possible and bring something back.
 The one who goes the farthest gets the daughter.  The one named Falling
Rocks never returned.  We are reminded to look for him when we see the signs.

4)  There was a very clumsy young indian named Falling Rocks who was in love
with the most beautiful maiden in his tribe.  However, she was promised to
the chief.  One day, Falling Rocks was walking along a cliff and saw his
beloved approaching.  Distracted by her beauty, he stumbled and fell over the
edge.  Fortunately, his fall was broken by the chief who happened to be
passing underneath.  Falling Rocks and his beloved were married, and since he
continued to be clumsy, the tribe erected signs to warn passersby to "Watch
out for Falling Rocks".

5)  Falling Rocks was an Apache warrior who served with Geronimo, but was
even more militant.  When Geronimo surrendered, Falling Rocks escaped and
waged a one-man campaign against the settlers.  Since he was alone, he fought
from ambush, and preyed on people traveling by road.  Because the area he
lived in was hilly, he often attacked from above.  Therefore signs were
posted, "Beware of Falling Rocks".

Again, thanks everyone, it was very interesting to read the different
versions.

Donna Gilliland
South Dakota State Library
Pierre, SD
dgillila@aol.com or donnag@stlib.state.sd.us

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST