I've been asked to serve on a committee to put together a library for the
private school that my children attend.  The school goes from K-6 and has
about 250 children.  They're moving to a new facility and had previously
been on the site of a public library, so now they're really starting from
scratch and I'm learning alot about school libraries in a big hurry. The
strange situation we're in is we've received some grant money for
automation, but there's no budget for a librarian.  The plan is to have a
teacher oversee the library.  She'll be spending 3 hours per day there, and
otherwise it will be staffed by volunteers.  The administration claims to
recognize the need for a librarian, but tells us there will be no budget
for another staff position for at least 2 or 3 years.  I'm hoping for some
suggestions on how best to convince the school that this position is not a
luxury but a necessity.  Have any of you had to justify a position like
this?   Are there staffing guidelines I can point them to?  Are public
schools required to have a librarian?  Are there accreditation policies
regarding staffing that other school libraries have to adhere to?  I want
to build a strong case and would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Terri Freedman
Bryn Mawr College
Bryn Mawr, PA
tfreedma@brynmawr.edu

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST