>We have a school of 2450 students so its important that students not
miss-use their time in the library.  We have 12 "pass" seats located at 3
tables that sit right in front of the circulation desk.  Teachers may only
send 5 students from their class without coming to supervise.  Students
must have a signed pass, must sign in and must leave when their work is
complete.  We always say that if they are doing what they are suppose to
do, we hardly notice that they are in the library.  If we see that
students are talking excessively or are doing things that bother others
those students are asked to leave.  If we have two classes in the library
at one time we really stick to the only 12 on passes, otherwise we will
allow a couple more if they are working.

Of course there are always teachers who will send 5 to the library, 5 to
the computer lab and 5 to the career center.....just think how that lowers
their class size!

>However, at a vocational school at which I worked, we required students:
1. Have a pass from the teacher giving an assignment. For instance, the
English
teacher might give that student a pass to work on a paper. Or a shop teacher
might ask that student to research carburetors. You get the idea. The pass
did
not come from the study hall teacher.
2. All students had to sign in and identify what they were working on.
It is important that all students are quietly working because you may be
teaching another class...or you might not have enough seats for everyone.
This
is a major problem and when third quarter comes and everyone in the building
wants to do the "research paper", you might have two or three classes signing
up for library time.
3. Lunch hour is another problem. You hate to turn the serious students away
BUT...you must remember that you are not a study hall. You are a classroom in
which students learn important research techniques.
I think you need building support on this. I would approach the building
committee if there is one, present your problem and see how they solve it. If
there is not building committee, form a committee of department chairs. Ask
for
their help. You want to do a good job on what you are hired to do....teach
research. They have already hired a study hall teacher.
>he way it worked before me wasn't working, so.......we made library cards.
"Regular" kids could come up 3 times a week from their SH (this yr I'd
only let them come up 2 times a week; 3 was too many).  If they wanted to
use the Library, they'd come directly to the library, sign in on a sheet
that would be sent down to study hall for attendance purposes, and they get
their cards punched with a hole punch on the appropriate week #, and if
they didn't have their cards they'd have to go back to SH.  I was very FIRM
about not letting them in without a card.

Now, we have a system in place whereby the kids who get good grades and/or
have good attendance get a special card entitling them to special
privileges, one of them being the opportunity to visit the library during
ANY study hall they want any time of the week, as LONG as they have their
cards AND we're open that period.  It worked just fine.

ANYone who was a discipline problem was IMMEDIATELY returned (usually
escorted by me) to Study Hall and given an office detention.  It didn't
matter what kind of card they entered the library with; if they acted
up/goofed off, they were "out" for a 2-week period of time (for 1st time
offense; more weeks for 2nd and 3rd offenses)
>I was faced with a similar problem several years ago when I left the
classroom for the media center.  Initally the pricipal determined that only
12 students were allowed to come to the media center from studyhall; which
in some cases was the entire studyhall (I then became the studyhall
moderator) and in another instance there were over 80 students in studyhall
with that being the only studyhall at least half of them had.  I was faced
with studyhall teachers sending more than directed and dealt with the same
problems.

This past year with a new administrator we changed the policy.  As many as
thirty students may come to the library from studyhall if there is room.
Students coming from studyhall must have work to do.  Anyone not working or
just socializing is now sent back to studyhall immediately.  The second time
a student is sent back to studyhall they also loose their library privileges
from a week to a month.  During that time the only way they are allowed to
come is with a signed pass from a classroom teacher stating what the student
is to being doing in the library.  Also any student with overdues are not
permitted to use the library unless they have a signed pass from a classroom

>Jane Clark                  (330) 296-3844x3012
Ravenna High School      fax: (330)297-4158
345 E. Main St.             clarkjlc@aol.com
Ravenna Ohio 44266

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST