The commentary by Andy Carvin (acarvin@GSN.ORG) from PBS yesterday
eloquently spoke to many of the issues raised concerning copyright and
internet posting/usage.  However, several days ago I decided to go to the
source and ask the site "keeper" some of the same questions raised in this
list.  (Yeah this is a bit like asking a third world country what they
think about pirating CD's, but asked anyway).
Following is that response, received today.  It really doesn't change
anything about the legal-or-ethical-or-not issues spoken of on this list,
but is some added behind the scenes information about that page's creation.
 FWIW it appears that, if  nothing else,  the copyright issue of any
internet material is a long way from being resolved. But that's nothing new
is it... -ehainer
*********************

FROM: Ron "Keeper" O'Dell -- keeper@cruzio.com keeper@armory.com
You may post this on the listserv.

Since this site doesn't just list lyrics from various owners
or various sources, it is a bit safer.  This is a list of lyrics
from just particular shows, and the compilations exist for
reference purposes, which also makes them safer.

As for permission, well... While I don't have permission from
Warner Bros. as a whole, most of the song's writers know of the
page (and I've met many of them), and some even have contributed
wholly accurate lyrics for it (that's how I knew that the Pride
Rock parody name was Proud Slab in "The Tiger Prince", even
though it's not mentioned in the episode itself; it's in the
script).  So that helps, too.

Warner Bros. has been known to attempt to shut down fan sites,
but so far they've only gone after those which include nude or
pornographic portrayals of the characters, or those which harbor
links to such sites.

The Animaniacs Mega Lyrics file has been compiled almost since
the show began, in full view of Tom Ruegger (Senior Producer of
Warner Bros. Television Animation) and all the other people who
happen to read the Animaniacs newsgroup (the "Please Please Please
Get-A-Life Foundation" episode with all the nerdy fanboys actually
contains paraphrases of real alt.tv.animaniacs posts; they used
a.t.a's "Cultural Reference Guide to Animaniacs" for souce material,
with permission from the person who compiled it).

So, there is a fairly close-knit bond between the show's creators
and a few fans (myself included).  When a bunch of fans organized
a trip to L.A. in 1995 to meet each other, the people at Warner
Bros. invited us to meet them too, tour the studio and witness a
scoring session (for "Bingo").

--
Ron "Keeper" O'Dell -- keeper@cruzio.com keeper@armory.com
http://www2.cruzio.com/~keeper/toons.html -- WB toons info

Eugene  Colorado State Library:                 Voice: 303-866-6730
Hainer  School Library Media Dev.               fax: 303-866-6940
                201 E. Colfax/Denver 80203              Hainer_G@cde.state.co.us

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST