Dear Netters,

Many thanks to those who took the time to respond to my request. I had
several requests to share so here they are:
Frank Schaffer publications had some books with copy ready worksheets
available a
number of years ago-I used them when I taught ure if they are still
around. I found that I had to sequence activities carefully (and ask them
to repeat the
directions back to kids needed to review, review, review. Once
in a while I'd make a game out of "who's listening" by saying something
that really
didn't fit, just to see if  I could get their attention ! The good news is
that once you
work on this at the beginning of the year they get the idea that they have
to really
liste*********************************************
Simple suggestion - have you tried recipes? good example of instructions
(and an equally good example of assumed knowledge!)

I taught remedial reading for years and found that practicing authentic
tasks for following directions was the only effective way to go.  I used
a lot of maps of our city and the phone books and such and made up my
own exercises.
No you are not alone in recognizing this weakness in many students.  I
find many teachers habitually repeat directions and rephrase over and
over.  Kids get in the habit of not bothering to take responsibility for
interpreting / comprehending directions for them selves.  To combat this I
have begun creating prompts that contain a series of step b y step
directions.  I project them on the overhead and tell the class I will
answer any specific question about the direction such as the meaning of a
specific word.  I will not answer questions like "What am I supposed to
do?"  or I don't get it.  When put this in situation to the kid they can
cope with the directions and create an appropriate response.  For ex:
Pick a set of opposites.  Write one on the top right of your paper and the
other on the top left.  Think of three words that fit along the continuum
between the opposites and place them appropriately.  Write a paragrasph
describing the progression from olem is some select words  that do not form
a continuum such
as boy - girl instead of hot - cold.  If they get started correctly they
have little trouble with the actie use of dictionaries and
thesauruses as well as other resources appropriate to specific topics.

Another activity I used was to give a set of criteria for an activity and
circulate around asking does your response met criteria number 2?  Again
forcing them to self evaluate their product.  We use Ellison letter cutter
shape pieces that allow such a prompt as:  If a triangle equals 2, create
a character with a total value greater than 150 but less than 200. No more
than half the total value can be the same color.  Shared sides must be of
contrasting colors.  Character must have an identifiable head and means of
locomotion.

The cutouts include triangles, diamonds (2 triangles), trapazoids (3
triangles); and six sided shape the equivalent of two trapazoids.  The
kids worked in pairs and placed the shapes on the table until the product
met the criteria.  They then used glue to transfer it to a piece of paper.
We had a prompr for making a pattern as well.

Stick with it.  It is a valuable cause.  One of my 4th graders
participating in the shape activity asked me where I got the word
criteria?  He likjed it and thought I had created it.  We do have work to
do.
I am reminded of a incident I was told about (probable urban legend?) of a
teacher who gave out an exam, emphasizing that students should read
carefully ALL the instructions before beginning the test.  The last
instruction written on the test was "you do not have to take this test" or
something to that effect.  While I'm pretty s apocryphal,
you might adapt the concept.  And, yes, it is a constant problem area with
all ages;  I've been guilty myself many times.

JoAnn Hayes, LMS
Branford, FL
hayesj@mail.firn.edu

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST