I use DePaola's Friendly Beasts--- I know this might be interpreted as
teaching religion--but to deny the value and impact of Christianity,
Judaism or any other faith seems to me to cheat children of a truly
enriching experience.

This year we used Herschal and the Hanukkah Goblins made driedls with 4th
graders.  The teacher used the story for higher level thinking
skills--they had to come up with their own way to fool the king of the
goblins, and the driedls to teach probability, and Hanukkah for social
studies.....They came together with kindergarteners for my reading the
book (this was the first time they heard Kimmel's resolution)

I had one of the Jewish Mom's bring a menorah, and their and describe
their celebrations---then we man Lattke's.

There was a wonderful article by Barbara Cohen about censoring out
references to God in Molly's Pilgrim for publication for schools--it was
in SLJ---She concluded that we were too ready to censor ourselves.

We also lay ourselves open to criticism when we teach the fairy tales--from
the religious right since they have witches, demons and spirits in them.

The day I have to stop sharing this rich heritage may be the day I stop
being a librarian.  Usually, people are willing to let me do this as long
as they are convinced that I am not trying to inculcate religious belief,
but encourage shared cultural heritage, appreciation and tolerance.

Karen McIntyre  "In times of change learners inherit the earth while the
Lubbock I.S.D.   learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal
                 with a world that no longer exits."  Eric Hoffer

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/