Kathy,

not that you need my approval of your opinions, but I wholeheartedly agree with
your assessment of the situation...I am adding my perspective below (I am making
this statement to keep people from inferring that all of what I will say sprouted
from your op
inion - it didn't - I am expanding it)...   8-)

Instead of concentrating our efforts on redefining ourselves or playing a defensive
battle against Internet intrusion into the research arena and arguing how computer
lab technicians should restrict themselves to computer skills and leave research
skills
to us, perhaps we should be advancing our skills, knowledge, and abilities to help
those who come seeking advice on how to find facts in their search for the truth
about everything. . .

At the risk of exacting the wrath of every librarian in the world in my teeny, tiny
email box ... maybe we should stop looking at where we've been and begin to
concentrate on where we should be going. . .

I must admit, most of those who join groups like LM_NET are exactly the types of
librarians/research folks who *ARE* looking forward with an appreciation for the
past...which is why I just love this group so much ... many forward-looking ideas
and notions
 tempered by the experience of the past... a superb combination. . .

***

...Today's students need help (maybe more than ever) in perfecting the complex
skills of information literacy, but SLMSs have to combine our traditional

understanding of information systems with continuously updated technical

skills and prove the relevance of the services we offer.

Dr. Kathy T. Brock, Director

Curriculum & Instructional Technology

***

<center>earlj.moniz@mci2000.com

Earl J. Moniz

Librarian {Media Coordinator}

Lillington Elementary School Librarian

Lillington, North Carolina

"<bold>Doing what I can with what I have from where I am. . .</bold>"

Permission to use anything I type is granted . . .

I'm flattered you think some of what I said is worth repeating.

</center>

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/