--------------6D04439C67

--
 Dale Copps, Librarian     : My library/Was dukedom large enough.
 dcopps@wcsu.k12.vt.us     : The Tempest, I,ii,109

--------------6D04439C67

I received four responses to my request for a good ELEM
keyboarding program for the Mac:

Paws
Type (Broderbund)
UltraKey (Bytes of Learning) (2 recommendations)
Type to Learn (Scholastic)

The first two recommendations came with no further information
than that provided above. I couldn't find "Type" on Broderbund's
Home Page, so I said the heck with it.

Here's one of the two recommendations for UltraKey:

We use a program called UltraKey by Bytes of Learning ... in
grades 4-8, but can be used for even lower grades.

I like the program very much!  It is available for both Windows
and Macintosh.  We use it on both of our networks (Novell and
Appleshare).  The program allows the students to work at their
own pace, with the ability to start on the same lesson that they
were working on the previous day.

The teacher can input work that they want the students to type,
and allows the teacher the ability to make many choices for what
the student will type and how. I find that the students like the
program very much, and it is very easy to load and administer.
The program also allows me to print out several reports on both
individual students and the class itself.

I hope this helps you.

(Dale's note: Call 800 465-6428 for UltraKey demo--their online
download isn't working. I have called for it and will be testing
it.)

Here's the "recommendation" for Type to Learn:

I have just received Scholastic's 'Type to Learn' package ... I
have been pleased.  The teacher can set up individual users, and
the program will allow each to progress at his/her own pace and
keep track.  It has lessons which don't move forward until the
student has scored fairly well on what he/she is doing, and there
is a game after the session is completed.  However, I find it
tedious and rather boring  ... I wish I had other programs with
which to compare.

I will post my reaction to UltraKey when I have one. But I know
enough about what's out there, and enough about programming, to
know we are a long way from the user-aware, modifiable-on-the-fly
software we could have for teaching this absolutely essential
skill to our older elementary kids.
--------------6D04439C67--

LM_NET Archive Home