Dear Netters,
        I sent out the scam alert (about people pretending to give away free
software and in the process, finding out when you are not home so they can
rob you.)  I got the following response and thought you would be interested.

Thanks for the scam alert...  Forwarded to me by xxxxxxxx.  To
shed a little light on how they can know who/where you are: try the
following facts.  I have purchased a 6 CD set of discs from the Yellow
Pages people which, on an entire national basis, lists residential
(only) addresses and phone numbers for ALL owners of home phones and
subscribers to telephone services (local) in 50 states. Why did I buy it
and how much was it?  Well, I paid $79 including shipping; and it will
automatically be sent to me again 2x during the year to update it from
moveaways, disconnects, new subscribers, etc. That's the how much. As to
the why: I have an 800 number for my business and a home page on the
internet <http://www.potscape.com> with which I do business in pottery
from a studio in Budapest.  People call when the place is closed. And
leave no message because of... whatever.  At the end of each month I get
a statement from my long distance company of all calls made to my 800
number, including the number that dialed me.  Now I can send out a form
letter to those callers inviting them to call again, reminding them when
we are here, and so on.  That is how I use it. Anyone, anyone with the
money to buy can get the software: it is called, "88 million households
deluxe phone book. It comes from American Business Information, 5711
South 86th Circle, Omaha Ne 68127; 1 800 555 5666; or cdrom@abii.com.
I shall use it again in a few minutes to trace down an artist whose work
I had on consignment here.   His studio is closed. Last week I sold his
last pieces and went to telephone; disconnected.  Now I shall trace him
because I owe him good money.  And if I can also, I shall be able to
reorder his wonderful wall masks.
It is possible to enter a number and get a name and address; or an
address and get a name and number; etc.  One can search out various
people by the same name in a series of zip codes. And so on.
Unfortunately however, in the wrong hands this is one heck of a tool for
criminal mischief...

--
Johanna Halbeisen
Woodland Elementary School(K-4)