Thanks for all of the responses I received.  Some people have requested a
hit, so here is the information.  Please note it's being sent in 3 parts.
Elizabeth Hart
California School for the Blind
ehart@csb.cde.ca.gov

Your plan for call numbers seems good to me.
You want the top part of the call number to show the broad area in the
library where you keep it because of its format or broad subject matter.
CAS might be OK for a tape cassette, but you will have video cassettes,
too.  You'll need to decide on codes for all formats.  We use T for tape
cassettes, TR for Transparencies, VC for video cassettes, VD for video
discs, CD for CD-ROMs.  (Already I see that I'll have to differentiate some
day between CD-ROMs and music compact discs, which I don't yet stock.
Hmmm.)
I use KIT for miscellaneous formats that are lent together, such as four
books and a tape, or a model with a filmstrip.  Now, since I keep most of
my video tapes in a drawer that is just deep enough for the video cases
themselves, when I get a video that has an oversized guide or case, I call
it a VC/KIT and put it over the video drawers.
When it comes to books, you can use Dewey numbers for most categories
without a format line.  I recommend using 920's for biography rather than a
B, and then the famous person's last name, like this:
921
ROBINSON

But use F for fiction like this for Cleary:
CLE
***************
I am in this field "commercially" and also am a librarian.  Will try to
reply as the latter.

First of all, I think you should avoid duplication of labour.  I wouldn't
type out any spine labels.  I think that Winnebago should do this for you
as you enter in data (?) If you type out the labels first, you have to type
this data again when you do your data entry.

My strategy would be to key in the basic data that could:
a. Allow for immediate searching and circulation.
b. Provide enough data for a throrough retrospective converison
later.
c. Put barcodes on book NOW so that you won't have to handle the
book a second time

For example I might restrict my entry to
ISBN:           0989898989