Thanks for all of the responses I received.  Some people have requested a
hit, so here is the information.  Please note it's being sent in 3 parts.
Elizabeth Hart
California School for the Blind
ehart@csb.cde.ca.gov

Winnebago under the MARC record tag 852 has the option of using call number,
 call number prefix, and call number suffix.  I have found that when
working with students (and most people) that the simplest and least
involved call number is the best.
For instance, all of our AV software and computer software is labelled
NONBOOK (prefix) with the rest of the call number 636 JAC, fiction is F,
easy or picture is E for early reader (keeps the kids happy - easy has a
negative connotation).

Winnebago allows you to sort your other categories by types which caassign
in the program setup.  Such as, NONBOOK computer software is designated
type 22 so when entering the record on Winnebago the type number would also
be entered as part of the record.  Assign your types consecutively in the
Dewey section - 000 = type4, 100=type5, 200=type6, etc.  Braille could be a
type, in fact my two or three braille books are type 1.  Winnebago can sort
and do statistics using this type number.  Ask Winne to print out
statistics for type1 and you can see how many times type1 books circulated
during the month, year, etc.
Attend a Winnebago workshop.  They are well worth the money.  The planning
for using an automation system is the most important thing you can do.
Don't hesitate to email if you need more help.  I've been using Winne on a
Mac for 5 years.  And it's easier on the Mac!
***************
I've been there.   I think you've must have traveled in time and returned
to my library in the state it was in four years ago.  I found without a
real card catalog I would have to do the retro-conversion book by book.
What you need to do is ignore the card catalog, call Winnebago and buy
their Marc records discs.  I used the disc put out by Brodart to create
records for Follett.  My hit rate was over 90%.  You import the marc
records into your database and put the slap the barcodes and the call
letters on the books in one shot.  I just use the call #'s on the marc
records.  Write back for more infor if you need it.
**************
Winnebago sells a terrific little pamphlet guide that may answer some of
your questions. If you call customer service, they may send one out gratis.
If you use Winnebago CIRC/CAT (I use the 3.0 MAC version), on the Easy
Entry, after you finish typing typical title, author, place of publishing,
publisher, etc., you click on edit button, then add new record. The
information to be added is the barcode number you're assigning, the local
call number, price, etc.
If you don't have anyone else in your district with whom to discuss what
standards to use for assigning material types, I'd be happy to share what
the five schools in my district have agreed upon.
It could be that all of your non-fiction books would just have the Dewey
number for the local call number as in 773.3 JAC or F BUC for ficition. Our
professional books begin with a local call number of PRO 332.45 ANA, videos
are VT 510.4 CLA, etc. we have designations for audio-visual materials,
kits, etc.
**************
When I put in paper back books I do
FIC
MOR PAPER , using two lines like this, and with my system, CASPR, it
comesout on all reports and on the on line catalog with the PAP showing so
we know it is a paperback.  I don't know how W works, but you might try the
different ways and see what it looks like on your reports.  Sounds like you
have your work cut out for you!
***************
First of all, don't enter the format type in the call number area.  You can
set up material types for everything.  On the right hand side of the screen,
 near the top, there's something called material type, and each material is
assigned a number, with some being left blank so that individual schools
may assign material types as they need them.  This allows you to sort by
material type, and print out lists, if you want.  For instance, if you
barcode your AV equipment, each piece is assigned a material type.  You can
then print out a list of just tape recorders, or VCRs, or whatever.  The
material type will show up on the catalog screen. For instance, biographies
are #4.  If you enter 4 in the material type field, on your catalog, the
screen will say biography.  The AV equipment fields don't show up on the
catalog.  They have their own number range, so that they won't show up on
the catalog.

As far as sending records out, you need to get 3x5 cards, and write titles,
ISBN, LCCN, author, and year of publication for each book, making note of
how many copies you have for any multiple copies.  That's enough
information for them to get pretty good records.  Make sure you have the
LCCN and ISBN if you can get them.
***************
Traditionally the locator goes on the top line of the call number, the DDC
on 2nd.  When you shelve by format the locator is very important and being
first is an advantage for shelvers or finders. B for individual biography,
920s carried out for collected biog, F for Fiction, SC for Story Collection
are other considerations as well asVideo, Audio, Realia, or any of a
million other possibilities. Have you considered putting all of your fairy
tales/legends etc. in 398 with a line giving country so that all of your
Russia, France, China, tales are together?  Use World for collections.  Do
the same for Holidays (2nd line Easter, Christmas, Hanukka, St. Pat,
Valentine, etc.  and for Careers use a 370 or some such number and 2nd line
be the DDC for the career: 510 mathematician, 811 poet; 520 astronomner and
millions of 700s for sports figures etc.  This works if you have lessons on
careers and want them all together rather than scattered all over the
place.  Think of users' needs to guide you in your classifications.
***************
Your call number tells you where to look for the book.  The top line should
tell you where to look for the book and the computer will sort by the top
line. Therefore, you need to decide if you are going to segregate the
special books or incorporate them.  That will determine what must go on the
top line. This is true of all items.
***************
Save yourself some time and trouble.  Get the Marc for Schools. It's a disk
with most of the books you probably have in your Library.  It weill have
all the classification and call no. you will need.  It costs $495 but it is
worth every penny of it. You can get it from Brodart or possibly from the
company you purchased your system from.  It was a blessing to have it when
we did ours.  Except for religious books we found most of them on the disk.
 All the information you need to put into the computer is on the disk.
***************
How are your materials shelved?  If they are by call number, regardless of
whether they are Braille or recorded or whatever, I would enter the second
line of your call number first.  In Winnebago, you will have a way to
specify what kind of media it is when you do the entry for each item, so
that will be taken care of.  Our media center serves visually handicapped
as well as regular students, and that is the way we do it.

On the other hand, if all your Braille materials are together, I would
start with the "BRL", as this would tell users what part of the media
center to look in for the item. I don't know how big your collection is,
but I would almost be inclined to enter it directly into Winnebago using
the "Easy Entry" option and forget retrospective cataloging, as you will
have to make catalog cards first, and that will take forever!  Easy Entry
is just that -- very easy, even for non-cataloging experts!
Winnebago allows you to specify a location and a material type for each
item.  My call numbers are similar to yours, but I also enter a material
type (teacher resource, videocassette, easy reader, etc.) for everything
sothat a user won't have to guess what all those initials stand for.  Ask
Winnebago for help - they are very nice and helpful.

LM_NET Archive Home