Thanks for all of the responses I received.  Some people have requested a
hit, so here is the information.  Please note it's being sent in 3 parts.
Elizabeth Hart
California School for the Blind
ehart@csb.cde.ca.gov

I use Winnebago, too, and I have a suggestion. Even though your spine
labels have the material type on the top line, what I would do is to put
the rest of the call number on the call number line, for instance FIC CLE
and use the Location line to say Cassettes. The location line is really
intended for union catalogs as a way to denote which library holds the item,
 but I'm not part of a union cat. so I use that line to indicate in which
part of the library the item is located.
***************
Please enter the spine label info as:
Format space call number space call letters.  This will help the system
identify the material types by looking at the format first and then the
call numbers (which includes F for fiction and E for Easy).
***************
When I put all data into one collection, I have to prefix the call letter
with *something* to distinguish.  For example, I put R or REF before the
call number for "reference".  For videocasette, I put VC before the call
number.  HOWEVER, so all of the fiction and non-fiction books appear
together, I put a P for "paperback" AFTER the author's letters if it's
shelved on the paperback racks.

We have some writing handbooks issued from the library and they are in a
separate collection -- TX for textbook.  Also, the classroom collections
are on the computer, but they are in the AR collection (Accelerated
Reader).  Our *library* books that are on Acccelerated Reader are in the
regular collection (BH for Brownfield High) and the only difference is that
they are marked with red flourescent tape.
***************
We faced a similar problem in two elementaries when we automated.  In fact,
it was perhaps the deciding point in allowing us to automate all our
libraries, including the elementaries.  We used Alliance Plus from Follett,
because we were going to use the Follett automation program.  The
automation program you have selected (Winnebago) will determine how your
call numbers are entered.  I suggest you talk to Customer Tech Support and
get the answers from them BEFORE you start changing book call numbers.  You
don't want to have to redo this whole thing if what you've chosen doesn't
work in Winnebago.
***************
I have Winnebago so my materials are barcoded.  I use the barcode number to
identify formats and year of purchase.  E.g. all government books have a
barcode beginning with 3.
1988-89  30001
1989-90  31001
1990-91  32000
All numbers lower than 30001 belong to the school. Maybe you could say all
books have bar code of 20001 +
cassettes  30001 +
records    40000 +
Braille     50000 +
I personally would like all materials by Beverly Cleary to appear when I
search.  I can search by Author and get them.  I can identify material type
in the card catalog and then I know where to look.  I might not be making
myself clear, but the computer allows you to do much sorting and
identifying.
***************
At The Benjamin School, we are a multi-level media center servicing upper,
middle and lower school students. We do our call # with the format listed
first followed by the number and the first three lettersof the author's
last name then followed with a level designation.
Example: FIC
               ASI
               US
A fiction book by Isaac Asimov belonging in the upper school collection.
When using the Winnebago system, there are categories call material types.
We found that the best way to list material type was by division also.
Example:
333.32
FOX
LS
This would be assigned a material type 6
333.32
FOX
US
This would be assigned a different material type, 16 for example so that if
we wanted to make lists of all the upper school 300's we couldwithout
having any lower school books listed.

One last piece of advice. If you can afford it, hire a consultant to train
you on the use of the Winnebago system. We did not do this and we have had
to redo several things.
***************
You have a big job ahead. It willbe worth it when you are finished.  Put
the format first as in your examples.  This allows the computer to sort
books  or materials by type when doing reports.  Read your manual some more
or talk to your rep.  Winnebago works well for us.
For example: MAG is the designator for magazines when I enter them into the
compute. E-mail me if you want to know how I do magazines as winnebago
doesn't explain how.
***************
I've used the Winnebago system for a few years now, and I'm still learning
about the "best" way to do things. The format you've suggested looks like
it will work. Just remember to assign a material type for Braille, one for
cassettes, etc. The when you enter the call numbers into the material
record, the program can automatically assign the correct type. Also, be
sure to enter them BRLspace551.5spaceASI  That way the call numbers will
print correctly on spine labels. (I just figured this out a few months
ago--I just started using the program to generate spine labels!)
***************
If you plan to use the medium designation on most of your materials, you
probably want to keep it as the first part of your call number.  I don't
know about Winnebago, but Follett allows the user to list a 3-character
prefix in setup which can then be used for statistical purposes.
***************
I am very opinionated about this.
For the few filmstrip/cassette sets I have left and for books/tapes I use
KIT.
(2 or more types of media in a box)
KIT
CAT
For videos I do use VIDEO so it identifies it easily.
VIDEO
568
DIN
Books are all just call numbers
568
AND
I haven't started cataloging CD's yet but they will be
CD
031
WOR

LM_NET Archive Home