Charlotte:

During freshman orientation or the first time a class comes into the
library each year, I explain that I want students to be able to print
what they locate on CDR or internet so they don't have to take notes by
hand.  I explain how much a cartridge and paper costs and that in order
to let them print, we have to charge $.10 a copy, the same or less than
they would pay at a copy store.  I tell them this covers the cost of
paper and toner and any leftover money will be spent on "neat" library
stuff like new books or new software.  I also tell them they have the
option of taking notes instead.  Invariably they opt to pay the 10
cents.   Note:  I have a few students who really can't afford to pay.  I
casually "overlook" their printing fees when they do research.  I have a
sign posted near the printer that says copies are 10 cents and I caution
students to estimate how many copies before they push the print button.
I do let students charge occasionally, and I don't charge teachers or
staff.  I keep the printer next to the circ desk so I can monitor.  We
just got a Hewlett-Packard laser jet 5Si and boy was it worth it!  The
copies print out (even Encarta pictures) before the students can walk
over to the printer.  No more waiting in line for the inkjet printer to
cough up copies!

Becky Smith
Rusk ISD
Rusk, TX