At 10:39 AM 2/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Question:  Can one package a slide show using powerpoint and then VIEW that
>> slide show on a computer ELSEWHERE in the building WITHOUT THAT computer
>> having the powerpoint software installed on it?
>
>Not according to my experience.  Not only do you need to have the software
>installed but also make sure that your version of PowerPoint is the same
>as the one installed on the computer you use for your actual presentation.
>Ex: If you create your presentation with PowerPoint 4.0, you would not be
>able to present with a computer that has the 3.1 version installed.

Actually, the new version of PowerPoint (v7) has an option called "Pack and
Go" that allows you to do just that.  And Harvard Graphics has had such a
utility (HG RunTime Player) since at least version 2.  I use it all the time
-- it attaches a small utility file to your presentation disk and will run
on almost any IBM compatible, ever 286's (!)

Hope this helps.

Mark Williams
Librarian
Colton High School