Hi Gang,
I need your collective help for an " I Love To Read" Assmebly.

In this part of the country, Feb. is traditionally the time of the year
that we celebrate "I Love To Read". Many activities are designed to bring
attention to the importance of reading and books. My elementary school goes
all out in celebrating for the entire month.

Next Wed. is our I Love to read assembly. The schools gathers together in
the Gym, for a tribute to books and reading. The music staff helps me plan
the 1/2hr.-3/4 hr. time slot. Every year we try something different. For
example last year each class wrote a cheer for books. One year we featured
storytelling by teachers and students. The choir always sings  songs
written for this assembly and often a celebrity guest will appear.

This year I have come up with the idea of each class preparing a poem about
books. But I have come up short. I could use some ideas or sources for
poetry about books or reading. (no time to write them) I have used Good
Books:Good Times by Lee Bennet Hopkins, for many of them. All suggestions
or ideas are welcome. As M.C. I could also use a few good jokes about books
. I am sorry to say the staff and students have come to expect this from
me, since I started the tradition many years ago.

Some of our other Activities this year include:
1. giving all students "Passports" to record their reading , which includes
special stickers for books read (Our theme this year -Reading: The
Destination To Good times; Great Adventures);
2. guest celebrity readers
3. Book Alert for one week.. all students, the entire staff must have books
with with them at all times and when Book Alert is announced over the PA
the entire school body, 337 students, plus staff, secretarial, custodial
etc. read for 10 minutes. This happens twice a day.

We have been programming this type of celebration for years and it is a
beloved event at the school and in the community. Even the parents get
involved.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,
Reesa Cohen

Reesa Cohen                                "SCHOOL LIBRARIES: working to have
Teacher-Librarian- Dr. D.W.Penner School     Students drink from the
fountain
and School Library Consultant                of knowledge, not just gargle
Winnipeg, Manitoba                           a bit"
Canada
http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/~drpenner/DrDWhomepage.html
**

LM_NET Archive Home