Help, the censor has descended upon the media center.  Here's the hard part
after reviewing the last few issues of YM magazine, I agree with the censor
that it is not age appropriate for the middle school.  We have been getting
it since 1989 and I periodically review an issue, but the latest issues
have definitely been for an older audience.  There has been a change in
editors and the addition of a new column. which may account for the more
mature content of the letters and articles.
I had not read the particular issue she objected to and she has it and has
not returned it to the media center.  I borrowed one from the high school
to find out what she was objecting to in the magazine.
I had explained to her that I had not read that particular issue so that I
could not comment on her objections.  I also explained to her that we had a
policy that she could follow for reconsideration of materials and a form to
fill out listing her objections.  She told me she would be back this
morning with the magazine as I explained I would like the opportunity to
review the issue.  It is now almost twelve o'clock and I have not seen the
magazine or the mother.
I have a feeling that she is rallying support from within the community
and, to be honest, upon review of the material, I feel the subject matter
is age inappropriate in this issue.
What do I do now?  Help!
Ginny Konefal
Terrill Middle School