It looks like the list has covered most of the popular mystery writers,
however, I have a few more. Arthur Updike is more obscure and probably
out of print, but he has written an excellent series of mysteries set in
Australia. The protagonist is Napoleon Bonaparte, a half white, half
aborigine police detective who uses his brain to always get the guilty
person. Anyone interested in national parks might like the Nevada Barr
books where a female park ranger (each book is in a different park)
solves the crime. For a quick read with some humor, I don't think that MC
Beaton has been mentioned. I keep a data base of mysteries I've read so I
can answer some questions, if needed.
I believe John LeCarre did write one mystery but it wasn't as good as his
usual genre, spy fiction.

 Nina Wells
Northern Middle School
Hagerstown, MD 21742