Interesting response, Alice.  Yes, if I *ever* have time to read on the
job, my principal and the other teachers think I'm not working -- even if
what I am reading is a catalog!

I believe that that's also one reason we don't have sustained reading
time.  If the teacher isn't up and talking or moving around the room
helping students, it doesn't look like she/he's *teaching*! I believe
that we desperately need sustained reading time (or in Krashen's words,
independent voluntary reading -- IVR).  Knowing *my* kids in my school,
I don't think very many are going to read if they aren't given a period
of time at school where they *must* read.

                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home