I am the librarian in a two-person library (me and an assistant) in a
school with about 1,000 boys.  We stay open for all periods, and allow
the boys to come in whenever they have study periods (although I do
sometimes limit how many come at once!)  Another assistant ( a former
teacher) covers my lunch period.  Since I started at this library in
September, I have asked several times for additional coverage during the
four lunch periods, and today my principal promised to give it beginning
in February.    He will assign teachers, who already cover study
halls in other parts of the building, to  cover the library for part of
the day too.

So here's my question--have any of you had any experience with this?  I'm
looking forward to it just because there will be another body in the
library helping me both maintain order and provide reference service at
the same time.  But I'd love to hear of the good/bad points that I may
not have thought of.

E-mail me directly and I'll summarize answers for the rest of the
list--and thanks!

Nancy Donnellan  (ndonnellan@juno.com)
Librarian
Holy Cross High School