        I've been "catching up" on my LM_NET mail and have been
fascinated with this thread.  My experience as a librarian/teacher fairly
new to the profession (received my MA nearly 20 yrs. ago--never had the
chance to use it until four yrs. ago, after years in the classroom), has
been one of delight with the working relationship between the school
librarians and the public librarians in this area.  Our middle school
library has just finished an automation project during which we became
part of a consortium which consists of our local public library, three
high school libraries, three middle and three intermediate school
libraries. We have access to, and share all books and many other
materials.  Students and staff at each school, as well as patrons of the
public library may search all holdings and borrow from any collection.  A
courier system collects and delivers material at each location.  This
wonderful project is due to the ideas and efforts of local school
librarians and the director of our public library.  The public library
director wrote the grant and received the funds--in a two part
process--from the Timken Roller Bearing Co.,located in our small city.
The public library staff and the school library staffs have been superb
professionals for the duration of this project.  We enjoy each other and
feel we are really partners!  As part of the public/school library
consortium we are also linked with our state public library network.
Through the PAC's in our library we will have access to the Internet,
SIRS, and many other wonderful databases!  This has been an exciting
experience and proof of what can be done working together.