We are a site for our public library's summer reading program as part of
our summer school program.  The summer reading program is a statewide
public library project through the Texas State Library.  Our county
library system conducts this program in all their branch library.  Our
elementary library, which is open for summer school, is designated by the
public library as a reading club site.  That way the students can use any
summer school reading to qualify for the public library club.  Many of
these kids probably wouldn't get to go to the library at all during the
summer.  All summer reading club materials are free.  I believe our
public library gets them free from the state library.  We get our
supplies from them - each year we order supplies based on numbers from
the year before.  They have bookmarks, certificates, and trophies
depending on the number of books children have read.  Each year the
reading club has a theme, and we also get posters, activity books, etc.
Also, for the past four years, a public librarian has visited the
elementary library in late spring to tell stories to the children and
invite them to join the summer reading program.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home