I am part of a committee to automate school libraries in a very large school
board in Ont. Canada. One of our committee members suggested that we not
simply discard the huge quantity of books but that we donate them to a needy
organization, third world, recycling etc. I am of the mind that if they are
no longer useful to us  to us then they are no longer useful to anyone.
However I was overruled and was asked to examine this question with you
people. Does anyone know of an organization etc. that would want these
materials from both elementary and secondary schools and would you be so
kind as to let me know where I could contact them?

Diane Chin
Teacher-Librarian
St. Robert C.H.S.
Thornhill, Ont. Canada