Approximately 20 of our students (grades 7-9) qualify for gifted funding.
It does not amount to much and has been spent to free up a teacher to
administer the program and also on WIER (Writers in Electronic Residence, a
Canadian young writers program out of York University). What I would like
is some feedback on  how schools are dealing with students who are so
identified. As the librarian I am planning to help with setting up
assignments etc. Some questions: Do classroom teachers accept these
assignments in lieu of their regular assignments, or do they expect those
as well? In that case I know kids won't want double work and will be
reluctant to do advanced work. How do teachers cope with students pulled
out ( especially if they are conservative wiht their teaching methods)?
Maybe they will miss class assignments or some important concept being
taught when they are out of the classroom. Also I believe some kids don't
want to belong to gifted programs because they can get A's quite easily
doing minimum work in the regular classroom. As you can see I am struggling
with logistics. I would appreciate any feedback on your experience,
successful or otherwise. Please e-mail me directly so as not to clog the
listserv. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Jean Anne Lowis
Teacher-Librarian
Mount Prevost Middle School
Duncan,BC,Canada