I have been asked to create a formula, a plan or an equation which would
create equitable budgets for all school libraries in one school district.
As many of you know, most budgets are based upon dollars per capita.  If
your school has the lowest enrollment, you receive the least amount of
dollars or vice versa.

The librarians have discussed the equity of such allotments and find
smaller budgets are not able to support the same type of programs offered
in larger schools.

Does anyone have budget guidelines which give support to technology,
reading programs, print and electronic sources and multimedia materials
that create equity?  Or does anyone have any ideas which might be used?

I will be happy to post a HIT should I receive enough responses.  TIA for
any information or advice you can share with us!

Louise Edwards
Elementary Librarian
Mount Vernon, WA
ledwards@eagle.esd189.wednet.edu