Hello Jennifer,

I am one of the other folks on the Catholic school mailing group.  The
Diocese of Arlington, VA. does BOB every year.  The participating
librarians or reading teachers meet in the late spring and select a list
of books which the school groups will read next year.  We use Historical
Fiction, Realistic Fiction, Humor, Classics, Survival Fiction, Biography
and Fantasy as categories, and select a total of 20 books, with two or
three in each category.  We each recruit a team of sixth and (sometimes)
fifth graders in our school, and meet with them each week to discuss the
books that they have read.  Each school has a method for selecting their
competition team of five students and one alternate.  In the early spring,
the librarians write the BOB questions, using compare/contrast and
inference questions as well as factual questions.  In May, we meet at a
central location, and the teams compete.  The team with the most correct
answers wins a trophy, which travels to the winning school for the next
school year.  It's a great program, demanding of time from leaders and
students, but reaping big reading rewards for students.

Let me know if you want any more information, sample book lists,
questions, etc.

Roberta Cole Lader, Librarian, St. Thomas More Cathedral School,
Arlington, VA 22203.
e-mail: lader@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu

To: "Jennifer M. Lyons" <jlyons@Oswego.EDU>
Subject: Re: Battle of the books

  Hi Jennifer,  I can send you a copy of the North Carolina manual.
Recently I saw a list of the Florida books posted.  The contest is based on
questions about 25 books in North Carolina.  It involves students in grades
6-8 in NC.  Each question begins with "In which book".  Format of the
contest might have some similarities with a quiz bowl.

            Bob King                K-12 Librarian
            10 South Street         Midland Comm. School
            Delhi, IA 52223-9769    109 Green St.
            rjking@theonramp.net    Wyoming, IA 52362

LM_NET Archive Home