Purchasing full text periodical databases on-line or in CD-ROM format is
an important issue we will all be considering. Right now with the free 4
month access granted to Nebraska libraries this semester I have been
attempting to compare the two approaches as the price with many of the
databases is now pretty comparable. I have EBSCO MAS FULL TEXT ELITE on a
networked fileserver and I have EBSCOhost online. EBSCOhost sound
wonderful, 1000 full text articles updated daily and available on all the
computers in the school.....but, so far, I find the access on line is much
slower, the interface is not as easy for students to use, the print is
more difficult to read, I have not had as successful of hits (using
the same search strategy--I have no idea why??), and we have problems with
printing from NETSCAPE.  I had originally thought my File Server would be
seeing it's last days and would only have the databases not offered
on-line. But I'm not so sure anymore. The bugs have been worked out of the
MAS CD and I think it is a terrific sources for students. I'll be
comparing
the two approaches with SIRS and see if I feel the same. What have others
felt in comparing on-line with CD?

                        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                        Sarah Peckham. Marian High School
                        7400 Military Ave, Omaha, NE
                        SPeckham@marian.creighton.edu
                                402-571-0619

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Carlton Martz wrote:

> In addition to Electric Library and Cognito, SIRS and Newsbank are going
> online with periodical articles.  For those libraries with Internet
> access, is this the future for periodical resources?  Or, do CD-ROM
> indexes and full text periodical products have inherent advantages?
> Carl Martz, Yucaipa High School, Yucaipa Ca

LM_NET Archive Home