I had many responses, thank you so much. Some asked me to post a hit so
here it is:

Hi Debra-
You have certainly piqued my interest!  I inherited *lots* of Dragonlance
books and others of very similar appearance in the middle school media
center where I work.  Fantasy is not my first reading choice and those books
are long (not that I avoid long books, in fact I prefer them!) so I've never
read one.  There is a group of boys in my school who will read nothing else.
Maybe that should have been my clue to read them:)
Will you share the concerns that the mother expressed?  Or were they general?

We also have quite a few of the Pier Anthony books.  I have read one of
those and actually found it enjoyable.  However, one of the protagonist's
goals was to see "panties" of the girl her traveled with.  Thought that was
strange...and unnecessary.  Where do they come up with these ideas???
Weird.  Certainly didn't think it would destroy the moral character of a
reader but....why?

I would be interested to hear what the mother said if she was any more
explicit.  Am off to search the web now to see what I can find.  I'll let
you know if I find any pertinent info.

Sally Lantz     sarahl@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us

Debra -
>The Dragonlance books are fantasy novels - they are most likely published
>by TSR Inc. from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. TSR publishes the Dungeons &
>Dragons and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying games and a number of
>novels including Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk. The books contain
>magic, fantasy, dragons, combat, weapons, good, evil, mages, priests,
>thieves, warriors, castles, etc, etc, etc. A moral issue - that has to be a
>parents call. I would hope the parent would read part of a book and form
>their own opinion before accepting another persons interpretation.

Hi again, Debra-
AltaVista finds 5189 sites using <Dragonlance> as search term!!  There seems
to be quite a following for the novels, the video game (I *think* that's
what they are referring to though I do not know it), and associated artwork.
As I said before I have *not* read any of the books so really can't comment.
Here are a couple of the sites that I looked at after reading your e-mail post:

http://wally.uofport.edu/~erix/dragon.html
Contains excerpts from some of the Dragonlance novels. They do sound sort of
"charming" to me!:)  Granted, the  quotes are taken out of context but from
what I see here they look OK and actually *seem* quite moral -- good vs
evil, gallant, chivelry, etc.

http://www.inconnect.com/~shadoe/hobbies/dlance/dlance.html
At this site a devoted reader talks about what the series means to him.  It
sounds good to me although I wonder about the age of the writer; would guess
college or even older?
Sally Lantz     sarahl@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us

Debra:
        The Dragonlance books are derivitive of/inspired by the Dungeons
and Dragons game.  This may--auspiciously--be the origin of the "moral
impact" concern.  It might be arrogant and presumptuous for me to say they
are harmless.
        Okay, they are harmless.
        Now, my suggestion for the parent would be to READ one of these
books. (And no, she doesn't have to enjoy the book.) Then, hey, if moral
impact concerns remain, she might engage her son in a conversation, all the
while acknowledging, trusting and respecting two good people--herself and
him.
        Then morally good things will happen for her relationship with her son.
        Cool.
        Take care.  I wish you well.
Jeff Kirkpatrick

*****
        The individual or institution which fails to honor and support
viable libraries is simply not credible.  For, a library, as a society, is
people, sharing in trust, for their mutual benefit and edification.  The
naive who fail libraries fail themselves.
        'Nuff said.
Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick, teacher/learner
jeffkirk@sni.net

Dear Debra, Of all the odd coincidences...
        Today I had a voracious reader (seventh grade boy) looking for
follow up to Andromeda Strain and we got to talking about sci fi.  He
said he loves all the Drgonlance books and had found out about them from
an older brother. I however have never seen any
of the series.  I plan to get hin started on the Xanth books by Piers
Anthony which certainly have some scences that some adults would get
squeamish about. Pleae share thoughts about other good such fantasy.
Gail Hall West Hills Middle Magnet School New Haven, CT

I haven't read all of them, but I have read the opening trilogy,
and they're very similar to other high fantasy, like Terry Brooks
or Tolkien (just not as good as Tolkien).  The series started out
based (loosely) on a long-standing Dungeons & Dragons campaign,
and the books I read had the "good" guys working hard to overcome
the "evil" guys.  (There were a lot more shades of grey than in
some fantasy, but I didn't see anything that would promote any
kind if amorality or immorality)

Hope this helps!!

Patricia Long
Librarian, Lincoln Middle & High Schools
Lincoln, Rhode Island
pllinhs@uriacc.uri.edu

P.S.  I have that first trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, etc.) in
      the library here, and they circulate heavily, but to that group
      of real fantasy fans.  They're "too long" for a casual reader.
      (That's from a student's point of view...I don't necessarily
        agree)

Debra Mayer
<dmayer@bardstown.com>
Bethlehem High School