At 12:47 AM 7/4/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Realizing this is not a popular statement, it doesn't take a master's degree
>to run the LMC. It takes someone willing to learn what they do not already
>know, someone who knows curriculum, technology, and literature, and a person
>who works well with staff and administration to develop a program that leads
>our students into the next century.

I would like to add my slightly qualified support to this statement.  The
classroom experience is invaluable to a school librarian, and that does not
come from an MLS.  My degree work has stood me in good stead, but equally
important has been my knowledge of the day-to-day realities of the
classroom.  Ideally, we would all have an MLS _and_ classroom experience;
but if I had to sacrifice one or the other,  for school librarians I'd go
with the classroom experience and enough courses to give a thorough
grounding in cataloging, selection, and reference.  The personal traits
mentioned above do not come from ANY program, but from the person -- they
are either there or they aren't.  No degree program or credential confers them.

Of course, advanced degree work broadens the person's scope and most
importantly, their knowledge base.  There is a real difference between
'running' a library, and leading a library program. The depth and breadth of
your professional preparation makes the latter an easier and more productive
task -- and ultimately, a more successful one, I think.

One thing I have noticed is that the degree gives you standing with other
librarians and academics, as well as the public.  I wonder if the whole area
of 'touchiness' about degrees and such stems from the fact that in many
states, for many years, the library was a dumping ground for failed teachers
who had tenure -- a 'safe' place to park them until retirement.  I know in
my own area, there is still a perception that school librarians are really
only clerks and need no training -- after all, all we do is stamp due dates
in books, right? I even find this belief among some public and academic
librarians.  I think our struggle to change this perception in the public's
mind leads us to be (perhaps) overly concerned about the academic
credentials.  Any comments?
Mark Williams
Librarian
Colton High School Library