my conversations with administrators and media directors leads me to
believe that they want to hire people with a broad view of technology who
can be leaders in school wide technology efforts.  They want people who
are visionary, forward thinking and not afraid to let go of the past.  A
classroom teacher friend of mine with no media training just got a job as
a school media spec. in a very progressive district. He's going to work on
his media degree; he'll be a fantastic media spec.because he's energetic,
has a good relationship with kids, is not afraid of hard work, and has a
vision.   I welcome people like him in the profession.

I'm not arguging for an end to licensure or for purposefully hiring
non-media spec.  But, there is a shortage of qualified people.

Mary Alice Anderson, Media Spec
Winona MN Middle School

LM_NET Archive Home