Dear Mark,
I don't think we can be overly concerned about credentials. We have heard
about the problem about the dumbing down of education as it refers to our
students and what they are taught. We have to equally concerned about the
dumbing down of our profession with people entering in large numbers with
no library science coursework. In Texas all one has to do is pass a test
and voila you are a librarian. Study Information Power and you can pass
the test. Principals do not understand the potential differences between
someone who has passed the test and someone who has an MLS. Our district
is becoming increasingly populated by those who have taken the shortcut.
Most of them never take a class in LS. There is no incentive. They
sometimes are given "plum" jobs because they interview well or know
someone.  Don't get me wrong. There are wonderful librarians who have
taken the "shortcut". They took the time to educate themselves through
reading, attending workshops, and etc.  I wish I could say this about all
of them.  I can't. An MLS or even certification does not ensure quality
but it does eliminate some who are seeking an easy out. And who will
perform their job accordingly...Those who are looking for an easy way out
and an easy job will reflect on all of us in the long run.

When I was hired, my district was trying to hire MLS candidates from ALA
accredited schools. Times have changed, haven't they?

Deborah Hall, Librarian
Bellaire High School
deborahh@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home