July 4th, 1997
        I just became a subscriber and thoroughly enjoyed the stories
about how people decided to become librarians.  Thought you might enjoy
one more (plus it will count toward a course assignment!)
        I'm 44 and the mother of 5 and I haven't worked outside the home
full-time in 16 years as I chose to be home with my kids.  My husband has
a small law practice and money is tight but I planned to work full time
once my little one, now 4, would start school full-time.
        My undergraduate background is in sociology/social work and I
also have a major in Theological Studies.  I did a lot of work for
various parishes in our diocese in different capacities but mostly
involving religious education and music ministry.  However, as much as I
love the work, it is very time consuming involving weekends, evenings,
etc. which would allow me little time to be with by children while they
are actually at home. Plus, my husband and I discussed the pay difference
in parochial settings versus public as well as the marketability of a
"secular" degree".
        I've always loved working with children of all ages and often
volunteer in my children's schools as a singer/storyteller and so I
thought to go back and get a Teacher's certiicate.  Great idea but, I
went to college during some experimental program years and had a choice
between math and science.  I chose math. When I started looking into
certificate programs I discovered I NEED science, too.  So, I could go to
a community college and spend time and money taking physical science and
biology with long labs and all or re-think the whole thing.
        Working with children, using my talents and hopefully working a
school schedule led me to URI's MLS program.  Taking that first course
last summer was VERY hard having not been back to school in so many
years.  But, as you know, I wasn't alone!   In fact a few of my fellow
students had arrived in the program via a similar path.  If you know
anything about R.I., turns out many of us had links in common.   I 've
been in school a whole year part-time, working for my husband part-time
while my little guy is baby-sat by his across the street best friend's
Mom.
It's been great!!!  I've learned lots of stuff and done lots of things
and hope to be done
the program in the very exciting year 2000!  I would have been done a
year earlier but something really exciting happened:  I'll be working in
local Catholic school as a Religion teacher.  Will an MLS be useful
there?   Most certainly!   I've been told the school has about 6 folks
with this degree and they're utilizing in all sorts of different
ways not just as "librarians".
        Hope this was helpful!

LM_NET Archive Home