1.  Selection and requests.
I encourage teachers to give me the name of any software they would like

to see purchased for all to use. If they want their own copy for all
time,
it comes out of their individual budgets and they keep the disks or CDs.

2.  Installing and Processing (cataloging).
We are supposed to check each computer twice a year, which is
impossible.
Instead we've gone to common set-ups on the hard drive with a folder for

programs and another for CDs. If we have a site license, I don't put it
on the check-out system but instead put it on a separate list. If there
are
individual copies, they're on check-out.
3.  Record keeping.
Once the original disks are returned, teachers are told they no longer
have a legal copy and should dump theirs. I've made a real point to
staff
members, just as I was about to check all machines, about how another
district in our state had been fines a huge amount (over 100,000, I
think) and that any programs they add or allow to be added to their
machines is
their responsibility, thus their fine. Let me tell you, them dump them
quickly. Programs on checkout are part of the regular circulation
system.  Those that are permanently on a machine (ClarisWorks, for
example) are
tougher. If you put it on the regular checkout system it appears that it

will be available for checkout or that it is due at the end of the year.

For the few I've done that with, I'm tired of writing "ignore" on their
overdue slips. Follet themselves recommends, although not publicly, that
you
should load the program on a separate machine, not on the network, and
put on
things that are their for inventory purpose, such as computers and
noncheckout software. I don't have a spare machine, so I keep it all on
paper.
4.  Care and Storage. Programs that can be checked out are in the
professional section of the LMC and barcoded. Some are labeled if
they're for special situations (don't work on a power mac, for both PC
and Mac,
etc.). We purchased additional cases for five packs and bundles so each
could have a barcode.
5.  Circulation.
CDs are on a five day checkout if they're a popular one in great demand
or for a month (most of them). Software is generally, for the few on
checkout, checked out for a week but seldom is there a problem in
keeping it
longer.  Ones in great demand have been bought in large quantities.
6.  Copyright.
I've asked the reps at various presentations if there is a problem in
keeping the operating software of a CD on a machine as long as it can't
run without the CD, and they tell me yes. If it runs without the CD, I
tell
my staff it must be dumped. Here again I make it their responsibility.
There's no way any of us have time to be software policepeople, and as
long as
your district appears to have the correct amount of software for
machines, my
guess is that we're safe.

Lorrie Wade, LMS
Sunset Elem., Hermiston, OR
dmwade@eonet.com

1.  Selection and requests.--Requests taken any time, but saved until we

have $$ &/or multiple requests.  Try to preview first (either teacher
requesting or myself).  Try to ensure that they coordinate w/curriculum.

2.  Installing and Processing (cataloging).--Done through LMC (cataloged

as "CD" w/Dewey no.)  This was a new policy last year as curriculum
coordinator and tech. strategist learned how difficult it is to keep
track of these
if they are not run through the LMC.

3.  Record keeping.--Through LMC.
4.  Care and Storage.--Most in Tyvek envelopes from Demco or original
jewel cases by Dewey number in old 5 1/2" plastic storage boxes in
workroom.

5.  Circulation.--Teachers only may check them out and are to trash
installations when they are returned.  Most may also be used in LMC by
anyone.

6.  Copyright.--Copyright info is kept in LMC.

Karen Keller, LMS, Johnston Middle School
P. O. Box 10, Johnston, IA 50131
phone 515.278.0476     fax 515.278.0130
kellerks@aol.com
kkeller@johnston.K12.ia.us

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST