1.  Selection and requests.We have selected items FOR THE LIB.M.C. based

primarily on district preview and recommendation, plus a few that we
have picked up from conventions.
2.  Installing and Processing (cataloging).We try installing them
ourselves, but have not always been successful-then we beg a teacher
more proficient at computers to help us, and when all else fails write
up a work order for the district people to install it.
We have not cataloged them as we haven't circulated them except for the
ones I loaned out that I can't remember when they went!!!
3.  Record keeping.None.
4.  Care and Storage.Currently have so few that we put in a metal file
cabinet drawer.
5.  Circulation.Limited, and sent something over for cataloging that was

a gift and the question arose as to whether I should because it could be

used in more than one machine and I would be breaking copyright.  The
installation would be loaded in more than one machine, but not used in
more than one machine unless someone (and there are many that are!!) is
smarter than I am in loading on the network.  We haven't even talked
about
circulating the cd-rom's to kids to take home.  At the present with
other av, we have had the policy that students may take overnight av
items, but I have questioned that with videos because of the cost of
some plus the fact generally teachers would rather they not be
circulated except in special circumstances.
6.  Copyright.See above.

Alice J. Creveling, Libn.SM North H.S.
740l Johnson Dr. Shawnee Msn., Ks 66202
913-993-6917, fax 913-993-7099, nocrevel@smsd.k12.ks.us
I work in the UK, at a 13-18 Comprehensive High school.  I'm not sure
how relevant my answers would be but I'll send them anyway!

1.  Selection and requests.
By review mostly, School Library 2000 has regular reviews of CD-Roms,
personal selection - I usually vist a school book supplier to test and
review CD-Roms every couple of years.  If a teacher requests a CD-rom I
will check for review and then purchase unless their is something
against it.  If that is the case I go back to the teacher concerned and
ask them to use the CD-rom themselves before recommending it.

2.  Installing and Processing (cataloging).
I catalogue CD-Roms as I do books, Our computer system allows media
specification so that when searching the catalogue the item will show as

a CD-Rom.  Accession number is given as for books (stuck on case).  The
Cd-Rom is also classified since this simplifies finding them within the
sequence and can also draw students attention to other CD-Roms on
similiar subjects.  The CD-Roms are installed on the computers by one of

my pupil helpers, the other pupil helpers then test it out and write a
short intro.
We have found that doing this helps pupils to use the CD-rom without
asking for too much help.  Also the different ways of saving/printing
etc. is easier to remember if noted on the case.  Getting pupil helpers
to do this also spreads the word about new CD-Roms!

3.  Record keeping.
The Cd-Roms are issued to students for use in the library in the same
way that our (few) closed access books are.  Statistics on borrowing
etc. are then easily available

4.  Care and Storage.
Cd-Roms are stored, in jewel cases, in racks behind the issue desk. (In
Dewey order)  They are cleaned each half-term and more if excessively
dirty.  We have found that most students are fairly careful about using
CD-Roms.

5.  Circulation.
As above, CD-Roms are issued for use in the library (and only for use in

the library)

6.  Copyright.
We do not allow students to borrow Cd-Roms to take home, that stops
breaking of copyright by installing on their own machines.  We have
notices about how to cite from CD-Roms to encourage students to take
note of who has provided the information when they use it in their own
work (Fair use)  Most CD-Roms now include a copyright statement when
something is printed out to avoid pupils presenting the printout as
their own work.  Unfortunately the use of copyright material in student
projects is increasing and I am not sure how we can stop it.
We do not allow the library CD-Roms to be used in other areas of the
school as the licences we have only cover the library.
Most of the CD-Rom publishers have been contacted in oreder to receive
permission to install the running software on more than one stand-alone
machine so that we do not have to install the software and uninstall
each time we use the CD-Rom.  Only one company has refused and asked us
to pay for each machine that the CD-Rom may be used on, even though the
computers are not networked and therefore the CD-Rom cannot be used on
more than one machine at a time, The sum that they asked for each
machine was half the price of the CD-Rom which I thought was excessive.
Therefore we run that particiular CD-Rom on one machine only.

Thank you for your input.  I will post a HIT or respond to others who
are interested.

Hope it helps!

J F Dixon
Sandown High School
Isle of Wight
jfd@shslib.demon.co.uk

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST