This (Shape of Future Schooling) message caught my eye.
I have just finished an Internet
Training Session with 40 Native teachers for two days.  It got
me reflecting on where NET teaching is going.  The key was the
training session handout.  The organizers asked how many
copies we needed for the main handout.

That made me suggest that they put the whole workshop on a
WEB PAGE. That way everyone could use the back arrow to
return to the outline.  They could also use the hotlinks
live, and review the whole process back at school

For me this was one of these moments of understanding.  It
suddenly occurs to me that future school districts are going
to require those *(U)(*&)*&@  planning documents to be on
the WEB.  In fact, every yearly plan, unit plan, monthly
plan (and even the sacred daybook) will be on the WEB.
That way:

   1. Every parent, district administrator, and student will
      be able to follow what's going on from home or work.
   2. Teachers will have an easy time when illness strikes,
      as day plans can be updated easily.
   3. Students off on extended leave will not require someone
      to constantly phone in for work assignments.
   4. Instead of worksheets teachers will be posting assignments,
      linking them into sites on the WEB, as well as books in
      the library and classroom resources.

This is not really what got me worked up.  It was the implication
that teachers and students will no longer be tied so closely to
the classroom.  It will be possible to keep up from a distance.

Even more significantly, I think the actual nature of teacher
professionalism will change.  The good teacher will be considered
the person who prescribes curriculum and course of studies.

More on this later.

Jim Bruce

Jim Bruce

LEX SYSTEMS