Here's the hit on Internet sites for elementary school that many of you
requested.  Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer my
request.
Denise Y. Miller, Librarian
Solanco High School
585 Solanco Road
Quarryville, PA 17566
dymiller@epix.net

-----------
http://www.educ.ucalgary.ca/litindex/
This site called the Doucette index to K-12 Teaching Ideas for Literature.
This is like a search tool on children's books, all you have to do is enter
the author title or illustrator of the book and it will take you to a
website containing many teaching strategies on that particular book, author
or illustrator.  This gives great follow up activities after reading a book
in class and are not the same old boring ideas that the learner's get to do
every year!

----------
Here's a site I like... someone who's done a lot of the work for us......

http://badger.state.wi.us/agencies/dpi/www/WebEd.html

----------
You may check out lots of sites at my "VirtLib" at:

http://www.wcsu.k12.vt.us/~winhall/lib_1.htm

----------
If you will go to my web page you will find a list of sites under each of
the curriculum areas, as well as in "teachers choice". Happy hunting!
http://www.birchlane.davis.ca.us

----------
Kathy Schrock has a site that explains search tools with a slide show
entitled "Effective Search Strategies." This is a great site for educators!

http://www.capecod.net/schrockguide

----------
The March 1997 School Library Journal has an excellent article inthe Surf
for column about Elementary Web sites. I passed it on to my Elementary
schools. The sites are posted at http://www.iage.com/sljlink.html. Get the
article if you can, her explanations are great for these sites.

----------
I like the following URL:
http://bridge.ci.lexington.ma.us/library/author.htm
It is for Bridge Street elementary School-Authors and Illustrators page. My

elementary kids get a kick out of Dr Seuss and of course the R.L. Stine.

----------
I have several listed on my homepage - both for teachers and for
students.
http://204.38.134.2/el/library/homepage.htm

----------
 I just completed a collections development class.  Our
class created a web page that might meet some of your needs.  please check
it out at:
http://timon.sir.arizona.edu/sp97/560/560abst.html

-----------
I put together a web page for my media center that links students to
resources I thought would be helpful for them.  Maybe some of the sites I
selected would help you out with your workshop.  I try to link only to
those
sites that will bring them immediately to content (not long lists of more
links) and that are appropriate for the grade levels in my school (5th and
6th).  They are divided up by dewey decimal numbers-- click on "Student
Resources" first.  I'd recommend the sites under 500s, biography, and maybe
also the 800s-- I think those are the ones we've used the most this year.
Hope this helps!

The url is http://www.voicenet.com/~srussell

----------
Here are a few sites that I have used as an Elem. School Librarian:

http://www.education-world.com (focuses on education-school projects,
etc.)
http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/ (includes historic and geographic data of
recent and ancient volcanos)
http://www.pbs.org/wishbone/index.html (classroom activities relating to
curricular areas)
http://www.mindspring.com/~zoonet (Zoonet gives you the chance to
explorethe world's zoos from your living room)
http://whyfiles.news.wisc.edu (exploration of science behind the news)
http://thomas.loc.gov/ (tours of historical documents and a section on
"How Our Laws Are Made")
http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/YLP94-95/Mini-units/Griffin.Insects/
(cross-curricular method for teaching your K-4 students about insects)

----------
Here's some that have been recommended to me that I've enjoyed:

Education World's Award Page:   http://www.education-world.com/awards/
        Excellent reviews.  20 awards per month.  Good source of the best
new Web
pages.

Kid's Web:      http://www.primenet.com/~sburr/index.html
        Provides links to many other excellent educational sites. A good
kid net
starting point.

Global School Net:      http://www.gsn.org/
        Interactive projects to advance learning

ERIC Clearinghouse:     http://ericir.sunsite.syr.edu/
        Ask ERIC's research on education as well as lesson plans.

Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators:
http://www.capecod.net/Wixon/Wixon.htm
        Great source for lesson plans and other information for teachers.

Dinosauria On-Line:     http://www.dinosauria.com/
        Everything you or your students want to know about dinosaurs.

Nine Planets:   http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/nineplanets/nineplanets
        Science and Astonomy from the University of Arizona. Great source
of graphics.

Starchild:      http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/
        An excellent astronomy site for primary grade students.

Math/Geometry Forum:    http://forum.swarthmore.edu
        Interactive problem solving including Ask Dr. Math.

The White House:        http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/welcome.html
        A visit to the white house and information.

The WebLouvre:  http://www.emf.net/louvre/
        A great experience visiting the artwork and Paris.

Create Your Own Newspaper:  http://crayon.net
        Create your own newspaper.

Sherida Steffen
Mabel Hoggard Math & Science Magnet School
Las Vegas, NV     89106
Sherida_C._Steffen@aspen.interact.k12.nv.us

Here's a site I like... someone who's done a lot of the work for us......

http://badger.state.wi.us/agencies/dpi/www/WebEd.html

Our School Web Pages hosts a page/listing of Hands-On-Science Experiments
which
has been prepared by the staff of Hewlett-Packard Spokane.

It is at: http://www.discovery-school.org/Science.html

LM_NET Archive Home