Dear LM_Netters,
   Are any of you aware of research which has been conducted on the
effect of cultural background (or ethnicity) on reading selection.  I'm
working on a paper on multicultural library service and have conducted a
survey in my own school district.  I've also searched in ERIC and Wilson
Library Index, etc.  I don't want to miss something that might be really
pertinent, so I'm asking for your help.
   Just in anectdotal observation, it appears that students in my school
are drawn to books which feature main characters who are more like
themselves, although that is not the sole criterion for selection.  I
would love to "hear" your observations and suggestions.
   Also, I would be open to suggestions of multicultural books which you
would vote as "must haves" in your collection.  I am in a Jr. High (7-9)
media center with a diverse student population.
    TIA,
       Marvel Dickerson, LMS
       West Jr. High, Blytheville, AR 72315
       E-mail: mdickers@hotmail.com or bdickers@missconet.com