I asked if a  7 bay CD Tower, networked, would slow the network and have a
noticable negative effect on the speed.  This is a summary of replies
concerning network use.

The tower is not just linked to the media center but to every computer on
the network.  I have not found that our network is slow with multiple use.
I have up to 8 computers using the same CD without problems.  I believe we
could have more but there would perhaps be a problem with memory on the server.

It doesn't slow the network if oyu have enough RAM on the server.  I have 10
workstations on a server with 1.6 G HD, 32 RAM, on a 486 66mHz machine.  I
have 2 CD towers running a total of 10 CDs (some programs require more than
1 drive).  Response time is fine.

Probably not slow the network on a LAN.

Currently using 15 CDS on a wide area network and we are still operating.
Not fast at times, but OK

We requested a 14 bay tower.  Ended up with an 8-station CD-ROM LAN, w/ a
server that has megamemory.  Loaded the CDs onto the server, and they can be
accessed at each station.  Much cheaper option and faster access.

Were told we couldn't load multimedia onto server.  Loaded 3 to try.  No
problems so far.

I have an Optinet tower that works with my file server and a SCSI port and
it has not slowed the network - however I do have high utilization.

Have 14 bay.  Has not slowed the network.

We are finding that the elementary teachers' CD programs are the ones that
do not run well on a network.  These sound and graphic rich programs need to
on classroom computers.

Many companies are now offering on the internet.  Having students access
these items online would slow the network and access (has 56K connection).
Suggested investing in more memory untila T-1 line is available.

Biggest expense is the subscripotion rates for networked materials.  However
our students can access the materials from any networked computer.

Perhaps you should wait and subscribe to those offering their producdisagree about
OS/2. You don't see much here because it is a
business OS.  Banks use it because stability matters. Airlines use it
because stability matters.  It is not a particularly good game platform,
though there are games, I hear.
Microsoft has market share or mind share. To assume that will not change
is to assume the future will be very unlike the past. In most monopoly or
almost monopoly situations something new replaces the monopoly.
Watch java. Platform will not matter. Overblown, RAM-devouring apps will
become obsolete.
Rhaposdy and other platforms which can promise security for the user in a
connected world will be far more interesting than machines open to
outsiders.  A user-friendly unix -- that would blow the whole thing open.
The next ten years should be fascinating.
OS/2 has been dead for -- about 5 years according the the Microsoft press.
Somehow it just keeps getting better with a larger user base. Smoke and
mirrors or FUD, and amazing how much Win95 copied from it.

Louis Jezsik <jezsik@videotron.ca> wrote:

>Remember all the bucks Microsoft threw at the world to get them to
>switch to Windows 95?  My only concern about Rhapsody is whether or not people
>will be willing to jump to a new platform.---snip----
-
-

Judith Russell