Hello lm-netters:  Yesterday I had a discussion with a teacher who is
in charge of our district's "learning center" which includes a
collection  of science, math and technology curriculum materials for
use by teachers in the district.  Currently the collection is
uncataloged.  She has discovered that many of these materials are not
on the MARC database. I was wondering about using ERIC descriptors as
subject headings as I think that would provide greater access than
LC.  I'm not a cataloger so I suggested a message to LM_NET for some
ideas on how to proceed.  Perhaps some of you are dealing with
similar special collections.

 Here is her message to you: "Looking
for information on how librarians are cataloging education curriculum
materials that are not on the MARC database.  Examples:  GEMS, AIMS,
textbooks, gov't docs."

Please respond directly to Marie Eschner, Scarborough Learning
Center, Scarborough Me
 email:  meschne@scarborough.k12.me.us

TIA  Claire Doheny
Scarborough Middle School