Dear friends,
     One of the problems with student assignments that we have noticed
this past year, is the temptation to cut and paste information from
electronic sources (CD-ROMs and Internet) and hand it in as the
assignment.  I suspect that some of the students are not evening reading
the info; some think that as long as you credit the source it's no
problem!  Of course, the basic problem here is that some teachers have
not changed their way of designing assignments to reflect the new
information technologies.  If an assignment can be accomplished by the
cut-and-paste-method, then it is probably not a very "authentic
assessment".  So many different ideas come into play when you consider
this problem...information literacy, Big Six, constructivist learning.
                        I have been given the opportunity to do a short, one-hour
inservice
with our teaching staff next August.  I don't want to overwhelm or
intimidate them...they will be having a lot of things thrown at them the
first three days, and about 1/3 of them will be new to our school.
   If you know of any great ideas, articles, websites, etc. that might
inspire me, please send to the address below (if replying by June 25th)
or my home account. Mailto:ncorriga@mts.net
--
Jackie Corrigan
St. James Collegiate/George Waters Middle School Library

LM_NET Archive Home