Hi, everybody.  I'm teaching a graduate class in Children's lit, starting
next Monday, July 7.  I am working on my course outline, making plans for
lectures and assignments.  My general theme is going to be "Changing Lives."

One thing I want them to do is to do an author study.  I will use the
example of Beatrix Potter (one reason I wanted to visit the BP sites in
England this summer!!).  There were so many influences in her life that
molded her, and as a result, her work, her stories and illustrations.  I
want them to each do an author in the same way.  Study his/her life, look
for influences, analyze how they affected their work.  I'll have them read
their works and review them and present all this to the class in a way that
they would introduce an author to their class of students.

Second, I want them to examine how we can use children's books to help
change the lives of our students.  We will examine fairy tales and look for
all the qualities of heroes and heroines that we can learn lessons from.  I
want them to do an annotated bibliography of novels and picture books that
can teach life's lessons in a pleasant way!  Examples might be Charlotte's
Web, Ellen Anders on Her Own, Chive, Rough Faced Girl, The Empty Pot, Miss
Rumphius, Pink and Say, etc.

I'd like some suggestions to give them of authors, or even illustrators, who
would make interesting studies.  It'd be great if we could find a kid's
level biography or autobiography, we'll search WWW, reference books,
journals, encyclopedias.

Also, have you got some great suggestions for fiction or picture book titles
that exemplify good qualities of character, honesty, unselfishness, courage,
compassion, devotion, etc.??  Also, kid problems like acceptance of
handicaps, those who are different, death of a loved one, poverty, etc.

Ok, to wrap up, here's what I'm asking suggestions for:

1.  Authors or illustrators who have had interesting lives, maybe overcome
handicaps, hardships, or just plain have had interesting lives and that
would make good character studies (as well as have books that are available!).

2.  Suggestions for books to read to kids or have them read that deal with
life's lessons - good fiction and picture books, good story lines, nothing
didactic.  The lessons don't have to be blatant!  I had a 5th grade teacher
last year who had some little girls who were ostracizing one girl in the
class.  She was doing literature circles, so she gave them Ellen Anders On
Her Own to read, and grouped those little girls together.  All on their own,
without her prodding, they saw themselves in the characters, verbalized it,
got their problems worked out, and became friends again.  It was so cool!!!
They saw their situation through identifying with the main character and
feeling her pain.  They saw the pain they were causing someone else.  It was
such a gratifying experience both to the teacher who saw it unfold, and to
me, who'd suggested the title to her.  It was really a powerful experience
for Dana and me to see the difference a book can make.  Takes the sting out
of a lecture, lets them discover the truth for themselves.

I've got lots of ideas, but I know you guys know a lot of titles I'm not
familiar with.  Thanks for the suggestions, and if I get enough, I'll post a
hit!  I appreciate you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suby Weston Wallace
Nettleton Intermediate Center  (grades 5-6)
3801 Vera
Jonesboro, AR   72401   swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
870-932-5650     fax 870-930-3930

LM_NET Archive Home