LM_NET: I posed the question of whether educators preferred labs or
computers in classrooms, specifically wanting information on elementary
schools to find out how keyboarding is taught at the elementary
level to many students.

Results summarized:  Thirty-five responses.  Grade level not often
identified.  Some responses were actual, some opinions, some wishes.
15 - mentioned they have or want a combination of both
9  - had or wanted classroom computers
9  - had or wanted a lab
2  - had a media center lab

Interesting points:
1.  Decisions should be purpose driven.
2.  Ideal to have computers at point of instruction.  If not 5-10 in a
classroom, then a lab needed.  Or could have kiosks in several locations.

(At the moment, I do not know how to post all the actual email messages on a
long "HIT."  If someone wants to instruct me, I will do it.)

My own idea:
A building could be wired for both.  Use a lab at the beginning of the
year to mass instruct basic skills.  Then divide up the computers to each
classroom, efficiently enabling both systems.

Thank you to all the respondants.  Darlene DeHudy Muskegon High School
Learning Center ddehudy@remc4.k12.mi.us

LM_NET Archive Home