I've been trying to adapt the Big Six framework to Internet Searching and
would appreciate feedback on the following:

1. Task Definition
        What do I already know about the topic?
        How is this topic related to other topics?
        What are some keywords for this topic?

2. Information Seeking Strategies
        Is the Internet the best resource available to me?
        Should I use a search directory or search engine?
        Which search tools would be best for this topic?

3. Location and access
        How can I use Boolean operators, truncation, or proximity to
refine my search?
        What keywords and syntax should I use?

4. Use of Information
        How will I record information?  Open a word processing document
or database document?  Print out and highlight important information?
        How do I evaluate the information source?
        How will I cite my sources?

5. Synthesis
        What have I learned that is worth knowing and sharing?
        Are there more questions I need to answer? (cycle through steps
1-4 again)
        Am I ready to create a final product?  What form will it take?

6. Evaluation
        Evaluate at every step, cycling through the process as many times
as necessary.
        Given time what would I do differently?
        What new questions do I have for future study?

Sue Kimmel
Media Coordinator
Brunson Elementary School
Winston-Salem, NC