Dear LM_Netters,

I know that I am a minority on this list (as an academic librarian), but I
wanted to let you know that you've helped me more than you know on several
occasions.   I try to scan all the posts, even if they don't pertain to college
level/general information - you never know what you're going to be asked at the
reference desk!

Last night, one of our senior student teachers came in asking if I knew of a
list of famous people who overcame handicaps.  She was really impressed when I
went into the archives and found the five-page hit that someone posted late
last year.

This morning (and tomorrow morning) I had to teach the second half of Freshman
English Comp...the topic was the Internet; demonstrations of Britannica
OnLine and Metacrawler, definition of a search engine, and (especially) how to
evaluate the information found on the web (and I also stressed this for print
sources as well ;-) Our students are just older than yours, that's all!).
After going over the evaluation criteria, I told them about the Holocaust sites
that were posted here - and that the revisionist site slipped onto the list.
(We tried accessing them, but Netscape kicked all the kids out one at a
time!!).  I gave them a few addresses that I thought they
might enjoy exploring, and told them to have fun.   Since I hadn't
taught this lesson before, it was nice to know that I had a lot of help from
LM_NET in my folder!

Thanks again - you're all terrific!

Barbara

Barbara Herbert       <herbert@georgian.edu>