On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Theresa Bermingham wrote:

> Sorry it has taken me so long to post a hit on computers that will
> read to students but our server has been down.  Thanks to those who
> responded.  You really impressed our special ed. director.

There is a program that allows people to CHAT online with sound, and all
you need is a sound card in your computer.  My husband downloaded PowWow
from their web site (do a keyword search) and he and some friends have had
fun experimenting.  You can set up a discussion group for multiple people
online.... from 2 to 70.  ONe is the host or moderator and the others log
in by typing in the host's e-mail address.  You can see multple screens
with each person's name above their communication area.  You can *see* and
*hear* it read.  Of course, the sound *is* in that metallic computer voice.

I've been thinking of the possibilities with students who do not read
well and could practice their communication skills and hear the words as
they receive them.  Of course, the pronunciation isn't always *exactly*
correct and if the word is misspelled, the sound is *really* strange.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home