I am in need of your advice concerning the following two questions and am
especially hoping that district library coordinators or technology
coordinators will give me the benefit of your experience.

(1)  How many workstations should be available to run a library automation
program (ours is Columbia)
      before one considers adding a network?  At the present time, some
schools in our district have
      standalone machines to run circ and OPAC functions and others have
networks.   If one has only
      one or two workstations in addition to the circ. workstation, should
one forego a network until
      more machines are available?  Although it would be nice for patrons
to determine availability of
      an item on a networked OPAC station, it seems as though a network for
just two or three machines
      is an expensive luxury if budgets are tight.

(2)  What do you consider to be the best method for obtaining coverage for
equipment maintenance?
       A contract specifying each piece of equipment to be insured and the
cost per item or a general
       blanket contract for a dollar amount in repairs?  If it is the
latter, do you have a general
       rule of thumb for allocating a certain amount for each school or per
each type of
       equipment?    Our only experience has been
       with obtaining replacement/repair coverage for each piece of
equipment and that is expensive.

Would appreciate any advice you can give me!

Cheryl King, Librarian, Agana Heights Elementary, Box DE, Agana, Guam 96910
FAX:  (s.)671-477-8040    (h.)
671-563-1091 Phones: (s.)671-477-3550  (h.) 671-563-1073

E-Mail:  Cheryl.King@KUENTOS.GUAM.NET

GUAM-Where America's Day Begins!

LM_NET Archive Home