Dear LM_Netters,

Here's that list of recommended books similar to WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS.
 Sorry about the mess-up the first time I tried sending it.

Laura Richards, Central School, Glencoe Illinois  -- LERich7@aol.com

Shiloh by Naylor (5 recommendations)
      Won the Newbery Award.
      "It's powerful, but a tear jerker." - according to one librarian
Old Yeller by Gibson (4 recommendations)
Sounder by Armstrong (3 recommendations)
      "Best connector to Red Fern we found" - according to one librarian
Big Red by Kjelgaard ( 3 recommendations)
Summer of the Monkeys by Rawls (2 recommendations)
      - considered by on librarian to be better than Red Fern
A Dog Called Kitty (2 recommendations)
Stone Fox by Gardiner (2 recommendations)
A Day No Pigs Would Die by Peck (2 recommendations)
Sign of the Beaver by Speare (1 recommendation)
The One-Eyed Cat by Paula Fox (1 recommendation)
The Yearling by Rawlings (1 recommendation)
      - recommended by one librarian as a good read aloud
      - another said that it's too depressing.
Good Old Boy by Willie Morris (1 recommendation)
       - I loved this!  It's nonfiction.  About life growing up in
Mississippi.  A dog
          plays an important role.
Prairie Song by Pam Conrad (1 recommendation)
       - About life on the prairie.  Very sad and very good.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by O'Brien(1 recommendation)
Bearstone by Hobbs (1 recommendation)
Beauty by Bill Wallace ( 1 recommendation)
Red Dog by Bill Wallace (1 recommendation)
Incident at Hawk's Hill by Eckert (1 recommendation)
       - Very good - I read this awhile ago.
A Blue-Eyed Daisy by Rylant (1 recommendation)
Four Miles to Pinecone by Hassler ( 1 recommendation)
      - Another book I read awhile ago - also very good!
Rascal by Sterling North (1 recommendation)
Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell (1 recommendation)
Snow Goose by Paul Gallico (1 recommendation)
Rescue Josh Mcquire by Mikealsen (sp?)
Missing 'gator of Gumbo Limbo by George (1 recommendation)
Great Dane Thor (1 recommendation)
The Trouble with Tuck (1 recommendation)

LM_NET Archive Home