Comrades:
        This is a reference question with a big human component.  In
looking ahead, I am starting to think about where to retire.  The members
of this list probably have a better "handle" on their locations than
anyone else, being better educated than most and generally more open
minded than the average American.
        The ideal site needs the following characteristics:

        A.  A decent climate--by this I mean not too hot in the summer,
and with a short, but interesting and mild winter (some snow is fine).
(This is the main reason I don't want to stay in the Chicago area
indefinitely).  I want to be able to do outdoor activities year round.
After working in buildings where the windows won't even open, I want
fresh air.
        B.  Natural beauty--mountains nearby would be pleasant, plus
having the ocean, or lakes nearby.  Bicycle and hiking trails would
definitely help, since I don't like competing with automobiles and trucks
when I am getting the ol' heart rate up.
        C.  Culture is needed--opera, symphony, etc. would be nice, at
least within a couple of hours away (preferably those couple of hours
could be done by train or other public transport).
        D.  Diversity--I am in a "nontraditional" relationship and want
to feel comfortable with the other humans in the area (and for them to
feel comfortable with my being there--being the object of a "hate crime"
is not my idea of fun).
        E.  Decent and interesting restaurants are an asset to life--also
food stores with fresh produce and deli items.
        F.  The cost of living is a factor--I intend to "live," not just
"exist," and therefore can't spend all my limited retirement income on
basics.
        G.  The area should not be plagued with traffic, crime, noise, or
other pollutants.  Quiet is the word, with space to garden and commune
with the birds, etc.
        H.  Lastly, and most important--there must be decent library
services, with the entire bibliographic world available locally or
through ILL.
        So, there you have it.  Does your area measure up?  Or, do you
know of an area which fits the above description.  (Maybe we all could
get together and form a "retired librarians colony" and by doing so raise
the quality of life in some region).  TIA.

                                                Bruce

^^ Bruce J. Nelson               ^^^^^  phone  708 424-7400 x210      ^^
^^ Library Director              ^^^^^  fax    708 424-7493           ^^
^^ Evergreen Park H.S.           ^^^^^  email  nelsonb@sls.lib.il.us  ^^
^^ 9901 S. Kedzie Ave.           ^^^^^                                ^^
^^ Evergreen Park, IL  60805     ^^^^^                                ^^

LM_NET Archive Home